nav-left cat-right
cat-right

Homemade Febreze Fabric Refresher

febreze fabric refresher : ecoMomicalMe.com

Here are two recipes for Homemade Fabric Refresher, the first is a Green recipe as it has no harsh chemicals; the second recipe can be made with common household items that may contain harsh chemicals.

Homemade Febreze or Fabric Refresher (Green version)

This recipe is frugal and does not have any harsh chemicals and therefore we consider this to be a “green” or environmentally friendly recipe.

Supplies Needed:

• Empty Spray Bottle
  • Funnel
  • 1 cup Baking Soda
  • Essential Oil of your choice
  • Water
  1. Pour Baking Soda into Spray Bottle
  2. Fill with warm water
  3. Add 10-12 drops of Essential Oil
  4. Replace cap
  5. Shake and Spray

Resource: associated content

Homemade Febreze or Fabric Refresher (not so Green)

This recipe is simple and homemade however it uses fabric softener which may contain some not so “green” chemicals. I used this recipe with Snuggle Exhilariations (wild orchid & vanilla kiss) and it smelled great! I think the smell is stronger and lasts longer the the actual Febreze.

Supplies Needed:

• Empty Spray Bottle (24+ oz)
  • Funnel
  • 2 Tbl Baking Soda or 2 Tbl Vinegar
  • 4 Tbl Fabric Softener
  • 3 cups warm water
  1. Fill Spray Bottle with Baking Soda or Vinegar and Fabric Softener
  2. Add warm water
  3. Replace cap
  4. Shake and Spray

Resource: eHow

Check out more Frugal tips for your home to help you save money!

468 ad

21 Responses to “Homemade Febreze Fabric Refresher”

1. Anita Gavigan says:

Would the green version work without adding the essential oils? I don’t need a lingering fragrance.

• admin says:

I haven’t tried it without the essential oils. If you give it a try let us know how it works!

• Chrissy Bridges says:

It clogged my spray bottles too. I even bought the good spray bottles from Walmart cuz it’s still worth it to spend a little more on bottles. It also leaked out of bottle and ended up all over my counter top. When I used vinegar version the vinegar lingers even with essentials oils. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• admin says:

I have been using the same bottle for several years and am not have any problems. It was an old Febreeze bottle. I highly suggest that you reuse a commercial bottle, they seem to hold up a lot better.

I would suggest using just a few more drops of essential oils or try using different essential oils or combine several essential oils. Such as Spearmint and Citrus.

2. Rhonda says:

I used the 1 cup baking soda & it left white spots on dark fabric. It also clogged my spray bottle. Will try Vinegar next time.

3. Kelly says:

Thank you so much, this is a great tip:) I have some concerns about leaving water sit around in the spray bottle though. It seems it would take awhile to plow through the whole bottle, so couldn’t organisms or mold grow in the sitting water?

4. Kristen says:

Instead of using fabric softener I used dryer sheets and they just work just as good as the fabric softener!

5. Melissa says:

I use Purex crystals (mostly natural ingredients), you have to let them disolve in hot water for a while first, and reduce it to 1 to 2 tbsp or it is just way too strong. With the baking soda, I had to just shake the bottle now and then or it would settle, no big deal. Going to try the vinegar solution next. Do you find the vinegar smell lingers at all?

I love the recipe, it’s much cheaper and I do find the smell last longer than febreeze.

• admin says:

I always use baking soda, so I’m not sure about the linger of vinegar. Let me know what you think when you try it.
      I do use vinegar in my all purpose cleaner with essential oils and you can not smell it one bit!

6. Charlotte says:

Yeah, this doesn’t work at all. It completely ruined the spray bottle I put it into–the pump got so clogged up with baking soda that I had to throw it away. Sorry to say so, but this recipe just doesn’t work.

• admin says:

I’m sorry to hear that it didn’t work for you. Perhaps you didn’t use warm enough water to dilute the baking soda. I use this recipe and haven’t had any problems. However, I have not had much luck with purchased empty containers, such as the ones you get from the dollar store. I reuse industrial product bottles and have much better luck. (I ran into the bottle issue with my homemade glass window cleaner.) If you don’t have any bottles, as friends or neighbors to give you their empty bottles when they have finished using the cleaning products. I hope this helps!

• Sunny says:

It clogged up my bottle too and I used hot water to make sure the baking soda dissolved. I didn’t even get a chance to use it as it clogged up my spray bottle almost instantly :( Sorry but this recipe didn’t work for me either and I also had to throw away my bottle. I would like to try a recipe along the lines of using a lot less baking soda and a little bit of vinegar and water and see how that is.

7. Danielle says:

Thanks for the article! I am interested in trying the green version but I am not sure what essential oils I could use that are non toxic to my cats. Any suggestions?

• admin says:

I received this response from a friend that sells essential oils: “According to the cat tear sheet,… these oils are acceptable: Frankincense, Helichrusum, Lavender, Lemon, Melissa, Oregano, Peppermint,
      AromaTouch, Balance,Breath, Deep Blue, DigestZen, Immortell, On Guard, Serenity, Zendocrine.” Let me know if you have any more questions!

8. Dyane says:

I’m having a really hard time getting the baking soda in the green version to dissolve, any suggestions?

• admin says:

I usually fill the bottle with baking soda first, then ad hot water and shake before adding the essential oils. See if that works. Are you using an older box of baking soda? That could be the issue.

9. Priscilla says:

Can essential oils hurt fabric? just wondering IF I need to be careful where I spray this. Thanks

It is wonderful to find a homemade Febreze recipe, thanks for sharing!

• admin says:

I have not had any problem with the essential oils, as long as you do not use an excess amount. However the fabric softener can leave some spots on fabric or other surfaces!

10. Stephanie says:

I love this and thanks sooo much for sharing! I will NEVER buy Febreze again! :)