This homeschool term we are learning to make paper beads as our handicraft. This is a great way to reuse old magazines as well as make some frugal gifts! We are in the processing of making necklaces, bracelets & earrings from our paper beads. I will post those when we have completed them.
1. Find a magazine page with an interesting picture or design, then flip the sheet over to reveal the “wrong side”.
2. On the “wrong side” mark the short edges of the paper every 1 inch, then begin drawing lines from the corner to the nearest one inch mark on the opposite side of the paper. Once completed you will have a series of triangles.
3. Next you will want to cut out all of the triangles that you just drew.
4. Now your ready to roll your bead. Take one strip of paper and place your toothpick on the wrong side. Then make a small crease at the large end of the paper around your toothpick.
5. Now gently roll the paper around the toothpick. You will want to make sure you hold the paper tight against the toothpick. I like to hold the bead between my thumb and middle finger on my left hand while I twist the toothpick with my right hand. (I am right handed.) In this picture my daughter is rolling it while holding it against the table.
7. When you are done rolling your bead, place the toothpick in styrofoam or here we are using play-dough, until the bead dries. Optional: You can coat the outside of your bead with glue to give it a shiny appearance.
Here is the finished product! Now use your paper beads to made some really unique necklaces, bracelets, earrings, bookmarks, and more!
Do you have any handicraft ideas you would like to share? Tell us about them in the comments below!